Sometimes it can be quite useful to export data you have in Salesforce Org (transferring your data over to a new system is probably the biggest use case).
- Flat File Format only
- Not (sufficiently) scriptable
- Manual process to select the fields you want (instead of just everything)
- Only one object at a time
As most of the information you need for a proper export a available via Salesforce’s field description, it was pretty simple to come up with a solution that would let me export a range of objects to a database format (SQLite currently but very easy to extend for other RDBMS).
And here it is: salesforce_exporter. With a simple export command you are now able to export as many objects as the org holds:
client = SalesforceExporter.new db = client.export(objects: ["Contact", "Account"], to: "sqlite://test.db")
Not only does it export all the data into an SQLite database; it also preserves the datatypes and sets the constraints accordingly:
- Data types will be converted to the closest SQLite data type
- Not Null and Unique constraints will be kept
- Id field will be set as primary key of the according table